This purpose of this blog is to share my experiences while working and living in Antigua, Guatemala. Please enjoy!

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Night is Still Young, My Friends

The first night at Villa Esthela was enlightening to say the least. I’m a fan of this hostel because it’s busier than the last one I was in, so people are always around and completely friendly to talk to. The guests here are from all around the world – England, Australia, Canada, India, France, Switzerland, USA, Holland, Germany, the list goes on... There’s a bar on the terrace, and last night a very diverse group of us gathered around a table, drank Guatemalan beers and the popular Cuba Libre (rum and Pepsi), roasted marshmallows on the fire, and shared stories upon stories. Juan, one of the managers (and bartenders) here at the hostel is more than entertaining. He is very passionate about his country and opinions, as most people are I suppose, and he loves enlightening us through cliché yet truthful and humorous advice: "The night is still young my friends!" or "To be or not to be: Toquila (Tequila)". He's provided us with plenty of laughs so far. The majority of the guests are here to travel, some for longer periods of time than others. If I have time (and the courage!), I’d love to be able to get out of Antigua and experience more of Guatemala.

Yesterday was Monday, and my first day of work here. Sandra picked me up around 10am from my hostel. After showing me the bus station, how I’d go to and from San Pedro, we made the 45-minute or so trek to the highlands by car. It was so interesting to get out of the colonial lifestyle and city-scope, and see the mountain-highlands and more traditional culture of Guatemala instead. There were farms that seemed to go for miles, workers bent over in the hot and humid sun, dressed in historic Mayan textile patterns. Sandra told me they cultivated a variety of plants like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.

Once in San Pedro, I was introduced to Max, who works with Nest’s business partner here, La Casa, and his family at their home. Inside his house, which is actually a combination of 3 related families sharing multiple kitchens, bedrooms, dining areas, and living space, there is also a small workshop. Inside there were 4 people (3 women, and 1 man) working on different sewing machines, making Guatemalan shirts for National Geographic. Max (striped shirt), with his son and the 4 workers, along with the shirt they're making for National Geographic. I talked to the workers briefly about the sewing process, where they lived, and how often they worked (8am to 7pm!).

Max’s wife brought Sandra and I along to the local market. San Pedro is notably different than Antigua. The entire time I was there, I didn’t see ONE other foreigner. The market wasn’t too overwhelming, but there were lots of flies – admiring the delicious goods while escaping the heat like the rest of us, I suppose. Women displayed fresh looking fruit and vegetables, cheeses, spices, and breads; meat and more commercial products like clothing were in larger booths on the outer edge of the market.

Max invited Sandra and I to eat with their family. They served us a delicious meat dish (honestly I’m not entirely sure what it was, but they said it was traditional of the area), rice, cheese, and of course tortillas. Dessert was watermelon, but despite my love of fresh fruit, I refrained, a bit worried about getting sick from it.

After lunch, Max showed me bags made by Nest artisans for FEED. When asking him about production and cost information, he seemed a bit apprehensive disclosing some information. I mentioned the work plan Nest sent me and told him what was asked of me - some production ideas, the community background, and testimonials of the women. I guess I'm still kind of unsure of what exactly I should be doing day by day, and I think some of the information that I was asking Max concerned him as I received a phone call from Ian, director of La Casa, before I was leaving. He wanted to make sure that I was focusing on the women, their needs, what they're currently earning/what they would like to be earning, and what are their available resources. All of this information to see how independent they could eventually become and how they could benefit from Nest. However, I've yet to meet women that are completely involved with Nest, so I'll be looking to Max and Ian to direct me to the right communities.

My independence is a bit stressful, exciting, but stressful. I'm still completely unsure of how I should be going about doing things day by day, but I’ll be Skyping with Nest sometime tomorrow or Thursday. Hopefully they can give me guidelines to help me run things a bit more smoothly. 60 days seems like a long time, especially because I'm unaware of in which direction I should be going, but I'm really happy to be in Antigua regardless. All of the people I've met here are so fun and friendly, and the city is pleasant to walk around in. I’ve already learned a decent amount about the city’s history. It’s a quaint city, more or less an isolated pocket of a country still affected by war, oppression, and poverty. I’m having fun meeting people from around the world, learning about how our countries differ, but also sharing similarities like passions for travel, language, and friends.

Sean, from Australia, and Sonny, from England, and I are walking up to El Cerro de la Cruz, the cross that overlooks Antigua, later this afternoon. It's been pretty cloudy since I've arrived here, and despite being rainy season, it hasn't rained once. Hopefully it clears up by the time we go so we get a clearer view of the volcano! Tonight the crew is making dinner because it's the Frenchman Pierre's last night before he continues on traveling, and the Swiss couple are leaving Thursday. Again, this hostel is so comfortable, and I can't wait to get to know all of my new friends even more. All of them are genuinely interested in the work I'm doing here, and it's been so much fun hearing all of their traveling stories. Some of them have lived in multiple countries for months at a time, or have been to over 40 countries! Hopefully one day I'll be able to accumulate a good list, but I'm comfortable with my experiences thus far considering my age.

That's all for now - sorry for writing a book! I'll have plenty more to say though I'm sure once I understand more of the details from talking to Nest. Chau!

No comments:

Post a Comment