This purpose of this blog is to share my experiences while working and living in Antigua, Guatemala. Please enjoy!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Whose Volunteer Experience is this Anyway?

"Whose Volunteer Experience is this Anyway", Blog by Crystal Hayling: http://www.effectivephilanthropy.org/blog/2011/01/whose-volunteer-experience-is-this-anyway/

In response to Crystal Hayling's article, Whose Volunteer Experience is this Anyway?, I believe that giving can be mutually beneficial. However, like the author expresses, I agree that many people get sucked into charities or volunteering for selfish reasons. We all need to learn the importance of focusing on the humility of directly helping another individual in need for THEIR benefit, despite the fact that we may not hold attachments to them or their lifestyle.

The author relates this to the shoe organization, TOMS. I have to admit, I own a pair of TOMS wedges and I love them - they're my favorite pair of heels! Not only are they comfortable and trendy, but it makes me feel great to wear them knowing someone also received a pair of shoes with my purchase. However, I understand the author's point of view in the sense that TOMS shoes do not benefit local labor and in turn make shoe recipients reliable on donations, rather than encouraging self sufficiency.

This is where I appreciate Nest and its mission. Not only does Nest stimulate employment, but it allows women to artistically express themselves while developing self-sufficiency, stability, and the means to support their families. In terms of my involvement with Nest, my Spanish and international perspective will clearly benefit, but I understand that there are benefits beyond those of my own. My reasons for participating with Nest include motives to sincerely make an impact on and learn from those in the community of San Pedro. I intend to make friends with the people I work with, understand their backgrounds and how they've become involved with the organization, appreciate the customs and traditions of Guatemala, and share and learn from our differences. To leave an impact, I will use this knowledge to help women find economic and psychological independence, confidence, and the power to share their stories to raise awareness.

Hayling says in her article, "the act of giving is mutually beneficial. But at the end of the day, it's not only about me." I hope to carry this through with me during my experience in Guatemala. Aside from bettering my Spanish and having the opportunity to live in a beautiful foreign country, I understand that I'm going to Guatamala to work with these women to help them reach self-sufficiency. None of my current needs are greater than those of the women that are struggling to support their families, considering at this point in my life I am a care-free college student, supported mostly by my parents, and living in the United States of America. As long as I can see I've made a progressive difference in the lives of those women as I leave for work on a daily basis, I know that I will return home from Guatemala satisfied with my volunteer experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Crystal,really you have a great volunteer experience.I want to know some about their traditions of Guatemala.Waiting for your next blog Hayling....
    volunteer peru

    ReplyDelete